mercredi 7 janvier 2015

History - Russia at the Paris 1867 World Expo - Part 1

Exposition universelle de 1867 à Paris.

In 1863, during the awards to the exhibitors after the exhibition in London in 1862, and their encouragements, Prince Napoleon (cousin of the emperor) expresses the wish to see a second Expo in Paris in 1867 (the first World Expo in France was in 1855). At this time, we are indeed in the midst of industrial emulation.

Champ-de-Mars and Main Palace.
Unlike in 1855 when the exhibition was held between the Seine and the Champs Elysees, the exhibition of 1867 is mainly located on the Champ-de-Mars.

Frédéric Le Play, who was the Commissioner General of France in the 1862 London Expo was appointed Commissioner General of Expo 1867.
A major concern outside the site selection is the classification of what is exposed. The experiment was made in London where the works and the products were distributed very confused.
It was therefore decided that the palace would not have a second floor that would include a double classification by category of similar products, and by nationalities.
The result is the construction of a huge palace of elliptical shape of 482 meters in length, 370 meters wide, directed by the engineer Jean-Baptiste Krantz and architect Leopold Hardy.

On masonry bases, the gigantic building is mainly in iron with concentric galleries. On the outside is the Gallery of Machines, including the construction was entrusted to a young entrepreneur who has one of his first hits, Gustave Eiffel.

Russia is the guest of honor of France, it benefits from a large space inside the Palais, on 2853 m².
(Belgium: 6983 m² - Italy: 3249 m² - United States: 2867 m² - Turkey: 1426 sqm - Siam China Japan: 792 m²)
These are Russia, Belgium, Britain and France, which occupy most of the Palace.

Russian area in the Palace, with the Russia Street.

But one of the most interesting news is in this huge park of the Champ-de-Mars, of 965 meters long by 472 meters wide.
It was at the Expo of 1867 that will rise to the "architecture of exhibition."
This time, in addition to their parties that were reserved within the main palace, all nations would have their own facility in the park.
Each pavilion formed a special exhibition outside the palace and also gathered incomparable wealth.
These pavilions were ephemeral reflection or copying famous buildings, supposed to represent their country at best.

Egyptian Park at the Expo.

In those who most impressed the public are the annex of Egypt, composed of several buildings of ancient Egypt with an avenue of sphinxes, a beautiful little Chinese Park, but also a Russian village highly acclaimed !

Colored part : Russian village.
To be continued...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire